The Skills Enhancement Center and the QEP
Academic Affairs Home Page | Talladega College Home Page | Academic Programs
ABOUT THE SKILLS ENHANCEMENT CENTER
The Skills Enhancement Center, located on the second floor of Swayne Hall, has been designed to assist Talladega College in implementing its Quality Enhancement Plan (QEP), a major component of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACs) accreditation process.
The focus of the Quality Enhancement Plan is writing for first and second year students. This is an area which Talladega College considers important in order to improve student learning. “Pathway to Excellence: Strengthening Writing Skills,” is the focus of the QEP in developing and enhancing writing skills for students.
The Skills Enhancement Center consists of a 30-station, state-of-the arts computer laboratory for on-line assessment, instruction and testing; a library which can be utilized by students and the faculty; a multi-use area conducive for small group classes or meetings; and an area for one-on-one student advisement. The Skills Enhancement Center is staffed with a Director, two Skills Enhancement Center faculty members and ten tutors. The center will be open Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. until 8:00 p.m. daily, and from 2:00-6:00 on the weekends.
VISITING THE SKILLS ENHANCEMENT CENTER FOR ASSISTANCE
Another component of the Skills Enhancement Center offers FREE sessions by trained tutors to help students to become better writers. Here you will find faculty, peer tutors, computers and other technology; as well as an atmosphere that is conducive to writing.
WHAT TO BRING
To make the most of your visit, please bring the following:
- A paper or electronic copy ( on flash drive) of your draft
- Your professor’s assignment
- Questions or an idea of what you would like to focus on during your session
- A willingness to work hard to improve your writing
WHAT TO EXPECT
- A stress free and open atmosphere
- Feedback on your work
- Questions to help you further refine, develop, and support your ideas
- Advice on how to revise and edit your own work
WHAT NOT TO EXPECT
Tutors will not:
- Proofread your papers
- Edit, or “correct” your papers
- Attempt to predict what grade you will receive on your paper
- Write any part of a paper for you
For assistance in writing, the Skills Enhancement Center is open Monday through Friday from 8:00a.m.-8:00p.m. and Saturday and Sunday from 2:00p.m.-6:00p.m.